I talked about being gluten free and dairy free a few months ago, and as times goes on I keep finding the most amazing recipes online. Andy and I tried this recipe from My Healthy Happy Home a few days ago, and it was so good I had to share. It was sweet, savory, and hearty all at the same time. Andy said even though it had no crust, it was the best quiche he has ever had, and I have to agree.
Bacon Butternut Squash Quiché (verbatim from My Healthy Happy Home):
- 8 slice Nitrate Free, Uncured, cooked bacon (I used cured, nitrate filled bacon)
- 1 small butternut squash (I actually used a sweet potato)
- 2 cups spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned whole fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a pie dish or tart pan by coating with melted coconut oil.
- Chop up half the cooked bacon and cut the other four strips in half.
- Peel and de-seed butternut squash then thinly slice into 1/4 inch disks.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk and seasonings.
- Line the bottom of the prepared dish with one layer of butternut squash.
- Sprinkle chopped bacon over the top.
- Layer the spinach over the butternut squash and bacon.
- Place another layer of butternut squash over the spinach followed by the remaining slices of bacon.
- Pour egg mixture over the top evenly.
- Bake for 35-40.
Try it! It’s delicious!